My Savory Italian Galette is an easy spin on a savory pie. Use a store-bought pie crust, pesto sauce, sautéed onions, fresh tomatoes, and shaved parmesan cheese for a pie that tastes like pizza – but is really a galette! 🙂
Just so you know, a GALETTE is a French dish and is a free-form crusty cake. But let me confuse you.
- I used a store-bought PIE crust.
- My kids called it PIZZA.
- I made an ITALIAN version of this French cuisine.
But more importantly, this galette is super tasty, flakey, savory, and yes, delish!
AND if you use store-bought pesto (instead of homemade), it literally takes minutes to prepare for baking.
Tips for making this recipe:
- My mom always made homemade pie crusts, and so it’s STILL on my list to master. I have made them before but just need to dig out the recipe again. However, if you are looking for quick, then use store-bought pie crusts. These Pillsbury crusts were delicious and flaky —> key to a great
- It’s tomato season, so use your fresh garden tomatoes or hit up the local farmer’s market, which is what I did. On one of the galettes, I used some artichoke hearts, which I happen to love. Feel free to use more or less, or none at all.
- When arranging these Savory Italian Galettes, leave about 1 1/2 inches around the edge to fold inward, like the picture below. Then brush an egg wash all over it, top with more freshly ground black pepper, and they are ready to bake.
This recipe looks fancy – but it’s so easy! So go impress your family and friends and stop back here to share your results. Be prepared for more easy GALETTE recipes on here soon. Or pie. Or pizza. Whatever you wanna call it, it’s G O O D! 🙂
You can make a full meal out of this galette and a simple salad. Try one of my salad recipes here.
Try this savory recipe next: Roasted Vegetable Pesto Panini
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Savory Italian Galette
Use a store-bought pie crust, pesto sauce, sautéed onions, fresh tomatoes, and shaved parmesan cheese for a pie that tastes like pizza - but is really a galette!
- 2 pie crusts - store bought is ok!
- 2/3 cup pesto sauce - homemade or store bought
- 1/2 large yellow onion - sliced thin and sautéed
- 2 red vine-ripe tomatoes - sliced thin
- 1 cup orange cherry tomatoes - sliced thin
- 1/2 cup marinated artichoke hearts - drained and chopped
- 4 oz. freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg - for egg wash
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Slice onion in thin slices and sauté in olive oil over medium heat. Set aside.
Spread two pie crusts on prepared baking sheets. Slice all tomatoes thinly. Drain artichoke hearts.
Layer galette by spreading pesto sauce evenly on each crust, leaving the outer 1 1/2 inches. Then top with onions, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts (optional). Top with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.
Gently fold outer edge of both galettes inward, folding layers on top of each other. Brush crust with egg wash.
Bake on 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.