Classic Salty Dogs
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Classic Salty Dogs combine freshly squeezed grapefruit, good quality vodka, along with a nice salt-rimmed glass. Super tasty and refreshing, with no added sugar!
For other delicious cocktails, try some Blueberry Mojitos, Frozen Gin and Tonics, or this Hawaiian Mai Tai Recipe!
Salty Dog Drinks
This recipe was inspired recently after I inadvertently brought home a bunch of grapefruits from the grocery store, instead of oranges. We are in major smoothie mode (especially these Orange Julius Smoothies), and so we buy fresh fruit every few days.
Do y’all do pick-up or schedule delivery for your groceries?
We do. It’s convenient for me and works well despite the occasional problems I have with other people shopping for my food. So when you receive grapefruits instead of oranges, you make THESE!
Here’s what I love about this recipe.
- Only two ingredients (plus salt on the rim, ice for the glass, and fruit decor).
- Using freshly squeezed grapefruits means no added sugar like the bottled juice.
- The tart flavor is refreshing (especially in the summer months).
- You can prep beforehand by squeezing the fruit and storing it in the refrigerator.
For another cocktail using fresh grapefruit, try my Grapefruit Mojitos!
- Use good quality vodka.
- Drink responsibly.
Kitchen Tools Used: (Affiliate Links)
Classic Salty Dogs
- 10 oz. grapefruit juice – freshly squeezed (or store bought)
- 4 oz. vodka – good quality
- grapefruit wedges and lime slices – to serve
- kosher salt – to rim the glass
- Using a citrus press, squeeze the juice out of 3-4 grapefruits, depending on the size. It’s best to squeeze ahead of time and refrigerate the juice for a few hours.
- Prepare two glasses by taking a lime wedge, and rub the juice around the rim of the glasses. Dip in a plate of kosher salt. Decorate the glasses with wedges of grapefruit and lime (if desired).
- Add 5-6 ice cubes to glasses. Pour two ounces of vodka in both glasses. Then add 5 ounces of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Stir, and serve.
As they say, when you get lemons, make lemonade. I love the 2 ingredient no sugar Salty Dog! Let’s get this party started.