Classic Salty Dogs combine freshly squeezed grapefruit, good quality vodka, along with a nice salt rimmed glass. Super tasty and refreshing, with no added sugar!
This recipe was inspired recently, after I inadvertently brought home a bunch of grapefruits from the grocery store, instead of oranges. We are in major smoothie mode (especially these Orange Julius Smoothies), and so we buy fresh fruit every few days.
Do ya’ll do pick-up or schedule delivery for your groceries?
We do. Every week. You see, I’ve been struggling with feet problems for the last (more than) several months, which makes grocery shopping an impossibility for me right now. I’m loving being able to choose what I want from the comfort of my home, but have also had major withdrawals from shopping.
I need to…touch the produce. Squeeze the avocados. Smell the cantaloupe. Check for the latest expiration dates. Sigh.
So, the story goes like this.
- I pick up my groceries.
- I discover I’ve got grapefruits instead of oranges. (Sorry about those tart smoothies, boys.)
- After sending Zach out for oranges, I let the remaining grapefruits sit in my fruit drawer for a couple of weeks.
- Lightbulb moment. I decide to use them for Salty Dogs. Because why not?
- Using my citrus press, I squeeze AAALL the juice out of them. I used about three medium ones for this recipe.
- And there you have it. Classic Salty Dogs!
Oh, and then I drank
Here’s what I love about this recipe.
- Only two ingredients (plus salt on the rim, ice for the glass, and fruit decor).
- Using freshly squeezed grapefruits means no added sugar like the bottled juice.
- The tart flavor is refreshing (especially in the summer months).
- You can prep beforehand by squeezing the fruit, and storing it in the refrigerator.
Don’t forget to:
- Use good quality vodka.
- Drink responsibly!
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
Make these cocktails next: Classic Skinny Margaritas
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Classic Salty Dogs
- 10 oz. grapefruit juice – freshly squeezed (or store bought)
- 4 oz. vodka – good quality
- grapefruit wedges and lime slices – to serve
- kosher salt – to rim the glass
- Using a citrus press, squeeze the juice out of 3-4 grapefruits, depending on the size. It’s best to squeeze ahead of time and refrigerate the juice for a few hours.
- Prepare two glasses by taking a lime wedge, and rub the juice around the rim of the glasses. Dip in a plate of kosher salt. Decorate the glasses with wedges of grapefruit and lime (if desired).
- Add 5-6 ice cubes to glasses. Pour two ounces of vodka in both glasses. Then add 5 ounces of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Stir, and serve.