Spicy Bloody Mary Cocktails are a classic drink, full of peppery flavor – including tomato juice, Worcestershire Sauce, seasonings, and vodka. Guaranteed to cure a hangover!
Bloody Mary Recipe
I’ve tried many Bloody Mary recipes in my day, especially while traveling. So I know a good one when I taste one. A good Bloody Mary has to be slightly spicy, a little bit peppery, and a tad salty. It also has to have the BEST garnishes, because that’s the fun part. A sip, a bite, a sip, another bite. That’s how it’s supposed to go, people!
The other thing about this drink is that you can EASILY make it a cocktail or a mocktail. Either add some vodka or not. Enjoy these Bloody Marys with your whole family at a Sunday brunch, and enjoy the healthy benefits of just the tomato juice alone.
This Bloody Mary Cocktail recipe is an adaptation of my mom’s from back in the day. Hers had a whopping tablespoon of black pepper and some celery seed, so I cut back on the pepper and used celery salt instead of seed.
Ingredients needed for Spicy Bloody Mary Cocktails:
- Tomato Juice – Use V8 for best results!
- Worcestershire Sauce – For some Unami flavor, which is just so delicious.
- Tabasco Sauce – Gotta have some kick!
- Black Pepper – Use more if desired.
- Lawrey’s Salt – The seasoned salt we use at the grill.
- Celery Salt – I use this instead of celery seed now.
- Vodka – Choose a good quality liquor. Omit for a mocktail.
- Garnishes – I used celery, black olives, dill pickles, bacon, and shrimp. You could also use cheese chunks, other meats, pepperocinis, pickled beans, asparagus, lemons, limes, etc.
How to make THE BEST Spicy Bloody Mary Cocktails:
- Prep garnishes. Determine what garnishes you want to include and prepare them. Cook some bacon, sauté the shrimp, clean the celery, strain the olives and pickles, etc. You can do this all in advance of cocktail time.
- Mix the Bloody Marys. In a pourable bowl or pitcher, combine the tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, pepper, Lawry’s, and celery salt. Whisk well to combine, and then store in the refrigerator. Chill for at least two hours.
- Prep glasses. Combine some kosher salt and paprika on a small plate. Run a lime wedge around the rims of the glasses and dip them in the seasonings. Add some ice to each glass, as well as some prepared garnishes.
- Serve. Pour Bloody Mary mixture into prepared glasses. Add vodka to each glass and stir.
Benefits of tomato juice:
- Low in calories! One serving has only 50 calories!.
- Good sources of vitamins A and C.
- Contains potassium and iron.
- Also contains fiber.
Spicy Bloody Mary Cocktails
- 1 quart V8 tomato juice
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce – or more, for extra kick!
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawrey's salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 8 oz. vodka
- Mix all ingredients in medium pitcher. Place in refrigerator to chill (for at least two hours).
- To serve, pour into glasses filled with ice. Add two ounces of vodka to each glass. Stir well.
- Garnish each glass with an arrangement of celery, olives, pickles, bacon, and shrimp.