Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots should definitely be on your holiday table. These are simple, savory, and slightly sweetened, and a healthy side dish to go with your big meal.
The holiday spreads are often filled with calorie laden foods, and while I definitely love some of the indulgence, I always try to keep a few things on the lighter side. However, I believe that flavor is key, and you can achieve this with just a few simple ingredients.
These carrots are SO many things.
- A colorful dish
- filled with vitamins and minerals
- and a savory yet semi-sweet flavor.
The pretty factor is always a bonus. We eat with our eyes first, ya’ll!
Ingredients needed for Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots:
This recipe only requires three ingredients PLUS salt and pepper. So simple!
- Carrots – For a special occasion, I like to buy the whole carrots with the stems attached. Multi-colored carrots are a bonus for that pop of color, but not required.
- Olive Oil – Use your favorite brand of olive oil for roasting.
- Salt & Pepper – I always use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper for the best flavor.
- Maple Syrup – This will add that slightly sweet taste, and feel free to use more for even more sweetness.
How to make Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots:
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Lay a large piece of tin foil on a baking sheet.
- Prepare carrots. Chop off most of the stems to the carrots, leaving about an inch. Rinse carrots under cool water, and scrub them clean. Lay the carrots on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add oil and seasoning. Drizzle the carrots with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Take another large piece of tin foil, and cover the carrots completely.
- Bake. Place carrots in the oven, and bake for 20 minutes, covered. Then remove the foil, and bake again for about 15-20 minutes, or until carrots are fork tender. If there are a couple of larger carrots that still aren’t done, remove the carrots that are done, and place the remaining ones back in the oven until done.
- Add maple syrup. Drizzle the carrots with maple syrup, and then place back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Covering the carrots with foil for part of the roasting time allows for the carrots to cook through without getting tough.
Carrots are healthy!
The carrot is a root vegetable that is crunchy, tasty, and highly nutritious. Carrots are a very good source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. They are also low in calories, have been linked to lowering cholesterol levels and cancer risks, and are known to improve eye health.
Other delicious side dishes for your next special occasion:
- Creamy Mushroom Risotto
- Balsamic Glazed Brussels sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
- Make Ahead Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Spinach Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
Make this healthy vegetable recipe next: Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- 2 pounds carrots - organic multi-colored
- 2.5 Tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup - or more, for a sweeter taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread some tin foil over a baking sheet.
- Prepare the carrots. Rinse them and scrub well to get any dirt off. You can also peel them. Leave the stems on - if desired.
- Place carrots on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Spread the carrots in one layer on the pan, and cover with additional foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove top layer of foil. Bake again for about 15 minutes, and remove. Test the carrots with a fork. Remove the ones that are tender, and place the remaining carrots back in the oven until tender. Place all the carrots back on the baking sheet, drizzle with maple syrup, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.