Homemade Tzatziki Sauce is the perfect accompaniment to any Greek meal, or as a dipper for pita chips. Fresh dill is key to this flavorful dip!
Greek food is one thing I don’t make nearly enough. I love the flavors so much, but I often don’t think about making it at home, beside some classic hummus – The Best Healthy Hummus Recipe. That is going to change, because I want to provide a good representation of different cuisines. It’s a goal of mine, and I hope you decide to venture out too.
Greek food is considered interchangeable with Mediterranean food. It uses many vegetables, olive oils, fish, wine, and various forms of meat. Other important ingredients include olives, pasta, cheese (like feta), lemon juice, herbs, bread, and yogurt.
This Homemade Tzatziki Sauce is a staple in my Greek Cauliflower Bowls with Chicken. It brings all the Greek flavors to this dish, and you are definitely going to want to try it. It’s also great with just some baked pita chips and fresh veggies.
What makes a great Tzatziki Sauce?
- Greek yogurt – Use a full-fat version for an extra creamy consistency.
- Cucumbers – Finely diced (as pictured below) and squeezed of excess moisture.
- Fresh Dill – This is the KEY ingredient and you’ll need to mince up plenty – about 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Fresh Lemon Juice – A hearty squeeze of a lemon is all you need here.
- Seasonings – Garlic powder (or use fresh), kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Olive Oil – Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the finished Tzatziki sauce. SO good.
How to make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce:
I recommend making the Tzatziki Sauce several hours in advance to get those flavors melding together.
- Prep cucumber. Finely dice the cucumber, and then squeeze the excess moisture out with some paper towel.
- Mince the dill. Remove the smaller branches of dill and finely dice it.
- Combine ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cucumbers, dill, seasonings, and fresh lemon juice. Top with a drizzle of olive oil.
Pro-Tip: Make some pita chips for this sauce or pair with my Greek Cauliflower Bowls with Chicken. 1) Take fresh pita bread, 2) brush olive oil all over them, 3) season with paprika, salt, pepper (or whatever you like), and 4) bake.
Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt – 2% or full-fat
- 1/2 medium English cucumber – seeds removed and diced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon fresh dill – finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or fresh garlic) – minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil – drizzle on to serve
- De-seed the cucumber, and dice. Add to mixing bowl, with remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Refrigerate at least an hour before serving so flavors absorb. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil.