Chunky Loaded Potato Soup combines potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and bacon, with a creamy roux. Such a great comfort meal!
Potato Soup is definitely a December recipe (NOT a January one). In other words, it is not light or figure friendly. Even my description of “chunky loaded” tells you what to expect. BUT, this isn’t a soup you have to stay away from. It’s got loads of veggies, a moderate amount of fat, and some dairy, bacon, and cheese.
It’s G O O D.
There are many ways to indulge in potato soup without sacrificing your figure. Eat it as a side dish, not a main course. Have a cup of soup along with a sandwich or a large salad. IF you can stop at just a cup. I’m making a large batch of roasted broccoli and cauliflower tonight, to go with this soup. So the veggies should help me fill up and not eat more than one serving.
OR, ignore the paragraph above and just have a big ole’ bowl. It’s winter and you can wear an oversized shirt. Swimsuit season is months away. Ha.
I’ve adapted a Norma Jean (my mom’s!) recipe again. She used Cream of Chicken soup in her version, but I rarely buy that anymore. I made a roux instead. It’s simple – but you can use any method you prefer.
Be sure to be generous with the seasonings for this soup. Potatoes need salt, in my opinion. If you don’t use enough, it will be bland. My method is to season in layers. I add a little with the veggies, then a little more when I add the potatoes, and then test it again after adding the milk and cheese. The key is tasting it as you go along, so that you can get just the right amount.
Try this soup recipe next: Creamy Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 3-4 Tablespoons bacon grease or butter
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 large celery stalks chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 large russet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz. cream cheese light
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste (use plenty!)
- shredded cheddar cheese to serve
- saltine crackers to serve
- Heat a large saucepan to medium-high temp. Dice bacon and add it to the pan. Cook until bacon is crisp and well browned. Remove bacon and set aside on paper towel.
- Reserve about 3-4 Tablespoons of bacon grease or you can substitute butter here, if preferred. Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper to fats (bacon grease or butter), and cook until softened, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Add flour and stir for a couple of minutes, until flour clumps are absorbed. Add chicken broth and heat to boiling. Simmer for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chopped potatoes, cooked bacon (save a few for the topping), more salt and pepper (to taste!) and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add milk, cream cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese. and turn to low. Cook until soup is nice and creamy, stirring constantly.
- Serve soup with shredded cheddar cheese, extra bacon bits, and saltine crackers.