Shaved Cauliflower Salad is the perfect crunchy side dish, combining thinly sliced cauliflower, red onion, pistachios, yellow raisins, and a lemon dressing. This one is a family favorite.
Mike and I were recently in downtown Dallas for a day out, encouraged by our youngest son who was having a “get-together” at the house with his friends. So we did a little bit of shopping, then hit the Katy Trail Ice House for a beer (or two), and ended up at Americano for dinner.
Since we are regular foodies, and ALWAYS share as many items on the menu as possible, we ordered a shaved cauliflower salad, a pasta dish and a pizza. It was all amazingly delicious, and we pretty much cleaned it up. Not hard when you share food with a marathoner.
So let’s talk about the cauliflower salad. It was SO good, and I love finding new and interesting salads to try. Especially when they involve a light dressing, because you really don’t need heavy salad dressings. Ever.
This salad is simple.
- shaved cauliflower
- thinly sliced red onion
- golden raisins
The dressing is even simpler!
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
I’ve tested this salad several times. Because it’s a good excuse to make it again and again.
A couple of notes:
- Be sure to slice the cauliflower VERY thin. I used a knife but you could use a mandolin on the thinnest setting. I don’t trust myself with the mandolin anymore, because I have cut myself too many times with it. That thing is dangerous!
- Red onion gives this much better flavor than green onions. Personal preference.
- Use slightly more lemon juice than olive oil. This defies my usual method, but the lemon is the key to giving the salad a super light taste.
- I don’t think Americano used honey in the dressing, but I think it needed a touch of sweet.
- If you want to add extra pistachios and raisins, go for it. They add flavor big time.
Make this salad next: Healthy Broccoli Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Shaved Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 1 head cauliflower – washed, trimmed, and thinly shaved
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios – roasted and salted
- 1/3 cup red onion – sliced thin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice – about one large lemon or two small
- 2 Tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Wash and trip stems off the head of cauliflower. Take individual flowers, and thinly slice the cauliflower. Make sure you get it as thin as possible. You can also use a mandolin.
- Add cauliflower to large serving bowl. Then add raisins, pistachios, and red onion.
- Mix the dressing, by combining olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper. Shake well.
- Pour dressing over cauliflower salad, and mix well.
- Serve salad, or store in refrigerator. The flavors get even better after sitting for awhile.