Cheesy Cauliflower Steaks
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Cheesy Cauliflower Steaks use a steam and roast process that guarantees the most tender cauliflower steaks with crispy edges. Add a spice rub and a combo of parmesan and white cheddar cheese for the most delicious cauliflower topping!
Try my Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe next!
Roasted Cauliflower Steak Recipe
Roasted veggies are my jam, which is why I loved creating this delicious recipe for you to try next. This cauliflower is great for light dinners but also makes an impressive side for holiday meals too!
While these steaks are low-carb and keto, they actually taste great too! There is no reason to think healthy means bland because that is hardly the case here. Think healthy and full of flavor instead! The steam plus roast method is a perfect way to prepare this cauliflower recipe.
Other Roasted Veggies
Try some of my favorite recipes for other roasted veggies too. Veggie lovers unite!
- Roasted Potatoes, Carrots, and Brussels Sprouts
- Gnocchi with Roasted Vegetables
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash with Pecans and Cranberries
- Mustard Roasted Potatoes
Ingredients for Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Steaks:
- Cauliflower – You’ll need one large cauliflower head as the main ingredient.
- Olive Oil plus Butter
- Season Mixture – A simple combo of kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika.
- Cheese – You’ll need both cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese, freshly shredded.
Prep. Prep a sheet pan with high heat parchment paper. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Prep cauliflower. Remove the green leaves from the cauliflower and rinse in cold water. Pat dry.
Slice cauliflower into slices. Use a sharp knife and a cutting board, and cut the cauliflower in half and then into six large steaks (as pictured).
Note: Four of the steaks will have the core in tact if you cut fairly thin. The other two are combos of partial steaks (or loose florets) that do not have the core.
Mix the coating. Add the olive oil, melted butter, and seasonings to a small bowl. Brush cauliflower slices with the olive oil mixture to coat the tops and sides, and place on prepared pan.
Steam. Cover the pan with some foil and cook for about 15 minutes in the preheated oven. This will allow the cut cauliflower to cook before adding the cheesy crispiness in the next step.
Add cheese. Add the shredded parmesan cheese and white cheddar cheese to the cauliflower.
Roast. Bake the cauliflower (UNCOVERED) for another 15 minutes or until fork tender. Total cooking time is about 30 minutes.
Serve. Serve with some chopped cilantro.
You can also add some chopped bacon to these for an extra flavor bomb!
Why do they call it cauliflower steaks?
Honestly, I have no idea. Some say they “look” like steaks. But I think it may also be due to the cauliflower takes the place of actual steaks for vegetarians.
What is the best way to cut the cauliflower into steaks?
I find it best to cut the cauliflower in half through the middle of the core. Then slice each half into thin “steaks”.
Do these steaks taste good?
Yes, this recipe does taste really good. However, these taste NOTHING like actual steak so don’t be fooled – LOL. But the seasoning mixture plus cheese makes them very tasty and they make a great side dish (to go WITH actual steaks)!
How do you heat leftovers?
You can microwave the leftovers, but if you want a crispy texture, you’ll need to broil them in the oven. Add some extra parmesan cheese to the tops and broil for a couple of minutes.
What to Serve with Cheesy Cauliflower Steaks
While these “steaks” make a tasty main dish, my family loves their meat! Here are some mains to go with these roasted cauliflower steaks!
- A grilled ribeye (aka a real steak)! 🙂
- Crispy Roasted Whole Chicken
- Smoked Pork Tenderloin
- Green Chile Turkey Burgers
- Smoked Spatchcock Turkey
Cheesy Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- cilantro – to serve
- Prep. Prep a sheet pan with high heat parchment paper. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prep cauliflower. Remove leaves from the cauliflower and rinse in cold water. Pat dry.
- Slice cauliflower into steaks. Cut the cauliflower in half and then into six large steaks (as pictured).
- Note: Four of the steaks will have the core in tact if you cut fairly thin. The other two are combos of partial steaks that do not have the core.
- Mix the coating. Add the olive oil, melted butter, and seasonings to a small mixing bowl. Brush each cauliflower steak with the mixture to coat the tops and sides, and place on prepared pan.
- Steam. Cover the pan with some foil and cook for about 15 minutes. This will allow the cauliflower to cook before adding the cheesy crispiness in the next step.
- Add cheese. Add the shredded parmesan cheese and white cheddar cheese to the cauliflower.
- Roast. Bake the cauliflower (UNCOVERED) for another 15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Serve. Serve with some chopped cilantro.
Great tasting dish! I really enjoy the tip to add parmesan cheese as it makes a big difference.