Spinach Walnut Pesto Sauce is a great way to use up extra spinach leaves, and makes an outstanding pesto sauce that you can use in countless ways. The flavor is even better than the vibrant color!
Before the beginning of my blogging days, I would have never considered making pesto sauce. Now that it’s a staple in our home, I can’t think of a better sauce to make and keep in small batches in my freezer.
The ingredient list is simple.
- spinach leaves
- toasted walnuts
- garlic cloves
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
The difference between my Spinach Walnut Pesto Sauce and my original pesto sauce is 1) spinach replaces the basil leaves and 2) walnuts replace the pine nuts. That’s it, and now I’m dreaming up all kinds of other pesto sauces with different combinations.
Freeze small portions of pesto sauce for a rainy day.
The photo below shows how I freeze small amounts of pesto sauce for a rainy day. There is just over 1/2 cup of sauce in each container, and it freezes beautifully. I use the sauce in a variety of dishes, including 1) shrimp, 2) chicken, 3) roasted sandwiches, and pizza. Rarely do I need more than one container per recipe, so having it on hand is super convenient.
Using pesto really enhances the flavor of so many recipes. You can’t go wrong using it, and you will impress everyone at the dinner table.
xoxo ~ Sue
What I posted one year ago: Beef and Bean Nachos
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Spinach Walnut Pesto Sauce
- 4 cups spinach leaves – packed
- 1 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper – to taste
- In a food processor, combine the spinach leaves, parmesan cheese, toasted walnuts, garlic, and salt and pepper. Pulse until course crumbs form.
- Add olive oil gradually, and pulse until smooth.
- Use in a variety of dishes (see blog post), or freeze in small portions.