Italian Sausage Soup with Vegetables
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
Italian Sausage Soup with Vegetables combines crumbled sausage with tons of veggies and a tomato broth. This easy soup is a perfect weeknight meal, and loaded with healthy ingredients. Add some shaved parmesan cheese for the perfect topper!
Soup Season at our home looks like a constant rotations of flavors and textures. We love a spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup, some delicious Sweet Potato Curry Soup, or this healthy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup on any given night of the week!
Italian Sausage Soup
Tis the season for all the healthy things. The greens, the lean proteins, consistent work-outs, and healthy habits.
I’m a girl who is all about balance. I love to indulge, but I also love to follow a healthy routine. Guess what? You can do both and live a great life. But the key, in my opinion, is to never sacrifice flavor. Flavor is king, and you can enjoy eating lean and mean if you incorporate tasty ingredients to your dishes.
While I’ve been on a lot of diets over the years, I don’t like using that word anymore. Let’s focus on balanced eating instead.
There are a lot of different kinds of vegetables in this soup. But you can easily sub some out for others, if you prefer. Customize it to your liking!
- Turkey Sausage – remove the sausage from casings
- Olive Oil
- Potatoes – a combo of sweet and yellow potatoes
- Seasonings – kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, onion powder, Italian Seasoning, and red pepper flakes
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Broth – I used a lower-sodium chicken broth
- Parmesan Cheese
How to make Italian Sausage Soup with Vegetables:
- Brown sausage. In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add olive oil, turkey sausage, and onion. Cook until sausage is cooked through. Then add garlic and stir for another minute. Remove this mixture to a separate bowl.
- Cook hearty vegetables. Add a bit more olive oil to the stock pot, and add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and the seasonings. Sauté for about 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. The vegetables will be partially cooked.
- Add liquids. After the veggies are par-cooked, add the crushed tomatoes and broth. Bring this to a boil.
- Add sausage back. Reduce heat to medium, and add sausage mixture back to the pot, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
- Cook softer veggies. Then add the zucchini and spinach leaves and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve. Serve soup with some freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. Enjoy!
Can I substitute other kinds of sausage for turkey sausage?
You absolutely can substitute other kinds of sausage. I used a spicy turkey sausage, but you could use mild or sweet, or even regular pork sausage instead. Use whatever kind you prefer!
Pro-Tip: Leave a little bit of the fat from the sausage in the soup. It adds flavor, and if you are using turkey sausage, there isn’t that much fat anyway.
Does this soup freeze well?
This recipe is pretty large, so you can definitely freeze some of the leftovers. The softer veggies may be a bit mushy, but overall, it freezes well for up to three months.
What should I serve with this soup?
A slice of my mom’s Chewy French Bread or my Focaccia Bread would be a perfect accompaniment to this hearty soup. Also, I’ll suggest a simple Arugula Caprese Salad or my Simple Quinoa Salad for some healthy greens.
Try this soup recipe next! Shredded Beef Cabbage Soup with Tomatoes
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Italian Sausage Soup with Vegetables
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey sausage – removed from casings (from about 7 links)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 4 cloves garlic – diced
- 1 pound yellow potatoes – chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes – chopped
- 3 large carrots – chopped
- 3 stalks celery – chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 1 large zucchini – chopped
- 4 cups spinach leaves – packed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes – optional
- freshly grated parmesan cheese – to serve
- In a large stock pot prepared with olive oil over medium high heat, add sausage and onion. Cook until the sausage is browned, and then add garlic. Stir for a minute. Remove sausage from pan.
- Add a little more olive oil to pan, and add potatoes, carrots, and celery, along with salt, pepper, onion powder, and Italian Seasoning. Cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring often. Then add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add sausage back to the pot, and cook for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until veggies are softened. Then add the zucchini and spinach leaves, and cook for another 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve with some freshy grated parmesan cheese.
Made this recipe for the first time and I don’t know what took me so long. It’s a great one! I’m a big fan of all the veggies along with turkey sausage. Full of flavor! I added the optional 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and am GLAD my husband encouraged me to do that. Not too hot – just the right amount of heat. We both liked it a LOT. Would be great with a loaf of crusty bread. It’s a winner!
Delicious, thank you!
Thanks so much, Alicia!
This was a TOTAL hit with all 6 of us! (Btw, that almost never happens around here!) 🙂 Several of us had second helpings and I still have plenty left over for dinner tomorrow! It was awesome!
I’m SO glad you all enjoyed the soup, Cathy! Thanks for letting me know! 🙂