This Grasshopper Drink Recipe combines ice cream, ice cubes, Creme de Menthe, and Creme de Cocoa to make the perfect creamy dessert cocktails. This is a family favorite and an awesome holiday after-dinner cocktail!
For a homemade mint flavored ice cream, my Mint Chip Ice Cream is delicious and festive. It also includes a small amount of creme de menthe!
I grew up in a family of eight, counting my parents, and this time of year is filled with childhood Christmas memories merged with our own traditions as a family of four. My mother, Norma Jean, made our holidays special with all of of her special touches. Our small house was always beautifully decorated, and what I remember most is, of course, the holiday treats.
Mom did a lot of prep for the holidays, stacking her freezer full of all the “goodies”, in her words. She made batches and batches of cookies, peanut butter balls, peanut brittle, and holiday cocktails she could store in the infamous “buckets” (aka ice cream containers). When we gathered, we enjoyed her Frozen Vodka Slush, Cranberry Vodka Slush, Frozen Kahlúa Cocktails, and this Grasshopper Drink Recipe, among many other things. Her kids are still making these concoctions for their families, me included!
Ingredients needed for this Grasshopper Drink Recipe:
A super simple recipe for a hectic time of year. Win win! 😀
- Ice Cream – Any vanilla ice cream works fine for these drinks. I love a good vanilla bean
- Ice Cubes – Use about 10-15 ice cubes to get a nice frosty consistency.
- Creme de Menthe – Go with a middle of the road brand, but anything you choose is probably fine.
- Creme de Cocoa – Likewise, an average brand is fine here.
How to make Frozen Grasshoppers:
- Combine ingredients. Using a good blender, or a Vitamix in my case, combine liqueurs, ice, and about half of the ice cream. Pulse until well blended. Then add the remaining ice cream slowly, and blend until you get a nice and creamy consistency. One half-gallon of ice cream will make two batches of grasshopper cocktails.
- Store. Use a Tupperware container (with a lid) to store these in the freezer. Or do what Norma Jean did, and use empty ice cream “buckets”. You can eat these fresh after making, or store them in the freezer for up to three months.
- EAT. Scoop the grasshopper into pretty glasses, add spoons and chocolate covered biscuit sticks (optional), and enjoy with family and friends!
Try this frozen cocktail next: Frozen Kahlua Cocktails
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Grasshopper Drink Recipe
- 1/3 cup creme de menthe
- 1/3 cup creme de cocoa
- 10 – 15 ice cubes
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream – two pints
- extra dash of creme de menthe – to serve
- In a large blender, combine liqueurs, ice, and half of the ice cream. Pulse until well blended. Add remaining ice cream, and pulse until creamy.
- Store in a tupperware container with a lid.
- When ready to serve, scoop (pour, if freshly made) into four glasses and top with another small dash of creme de menthe. Add spoons and chocolate biscuit sticks (optional). Enjoy!
- These Grasshopper Drinks store well in the freezer for up to three months.
- I like to make up several batches up at a time, and use during the holiday season.