These Brown Sugar Candied Walnuts combine raw walnuts with a simple combination of an egg white plus water, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. These nuts are lightly sweetened but oh-so delicious!
Nuts must be a grown-up thing because I was very anti-nut for a very long time. Mom was never allowed to put nuts in cookies, bars, or cakes at our home, because us kids would complain. But now? I’m ALL ABOUT the nuts. Take for instance my Multi-Grain Seeded Bread that contain lots of seeds/nuts, or my Crunchy Curry Chicken Salad that has toasted pecans.
- Lightly Sweetened.
- Perfect in salads or just munching on.
- And deliciously addicting.
PRO-TIP: Use candied walnuts in my delicious Loaded Fall Harvest Salad!
- Walnuts – I used raw walnuts.
- Egg White (plus water) – Make sure you whisk the egg white and water vigorously before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Brown Sugar
- Spices – Kosher salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
How to make these walnuts
Make the sweet mixture. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg white and water together. Then add the brown sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and whisk again.
Add walnuts. Add walnuts and stir with a spoon making sure the nuts are well covered.
Prepare to bake. Spread the walnut mixture on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Smooth to all edges of the pan.
Bake. Bake the walnuts on 275 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove to cool.
Possible Variations to this recipe:
- Instead of walnuts, you could use pecans.
- You could use white sugar instead of brown sugar.
- Feel free to change up the seasonings. Use a little bit of cayenne for heat, and omit the nutmeg.
- Use a little bit of maple syrup and less sugar.
Brown Sugar Candied Walnuts
- 16 oz. walnuts – 5 cups
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the the egg white and water. Then add the vanilla, brown sugar, kosher salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and whisk again. Add in the walnuts and stir with a spoon, making sure that the nuts are well covered.
- Spread walnuts on the prepared baking sheet, smoothing evenly to all edges. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove and let cool.