Best Thai Red Curry Recipe is a staple sauce in our home. We use this sauce over chicken and veggies, meatballs, and even seafood. Pair it with your favorite protein or veggies, and serve it over rice or noodles. SO good, and easy too.
We’ve become mad fans of curry after eating several meals of it during a recent vacation to Hawaii. I love how versatile it is, as it goes so well with really anything – meatballs, chicken, seafood, just plain veggies, rice, noodles – and you name it.
I’ve recently created a couple of recipes for you to enjoy it with, namely my 1) Chicken Curry with Vegetables, and my 2) Curried Meatballs and Rice. But this curry sauce is now it’s own recipe, so you can pair it with whatever you like.
Is curry sauce spicy?
THIS recipe is on the spicy side. BUT you can find other versions that are more mild in flavor. There are three basic types of curry that you normally see in restaurants, and they vary according to the paste they use, and the chef that is preparing them.
- Red Curry uses red curry paste, which include red chilies and other spicy ingredients like chili powder to make this the spiciest sauce of all three.
- Yellow Curry includes yellow curry paste which is milder than red, and includes turmeric that provides that yellow color.
- Green Curry features green curry paste, containing fresh coriander to provide the green color, and an even milder flavor.
Ingredients needed for Best Thai Red Curry Recipe:
- Olive Oil – This is needed for sautéing the ginger and garlic.
- Ginger & Garlic – These are necessary for flavor. You will smell them immediately during the sauté process!
- Curry Paste – Use one 4 oz. bottle of Thai Red Curry Paste.
- Coconut Milk – I recommend using a full-fat coconut milk for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – One cup of lower sodium chicken broth is all you need.
- Lime Zest – This adds some brightness to the sauce. So good.
- Sugar – To balance the flavors.
- Seasonings – Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional, but good).
How to make the Best Red Thai Curry:
- Sauté veggies. In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat, add olive oil and then the minced ginger and garlic. Sauté for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken broth, lime zest, sugar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the sauce over rice or noodles, and your favorite protein and/or vegetable.
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
- Global 7-inch Knife – Favorite kitchen knife.
- Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, 4 oz – The key ingredient for this curry.
Try this sauce recipe next: Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Best Thai Red Curry Recipe
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons ginger – minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 oz. Thai red curry paste
- 13.5 oz. full-fat coconut milk – 1 can
- 1 cup lower sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes – for extra heat
- In a medium sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and stir contantly for one minute. Then add the curry paste, coconut milk, chicken broth, lime zest, sugar, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. If desired, add red pepper flakes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over rice or noodles, and your favorite protein and vegetables.