Detox Lentil Soup
Detox Lentil Soup is loaded with fresh veggies, dried lentils, a tasty broth, and just the right amount of seasoning. Add a few crushed up slices of bacon for an extra flavor bomb, or leave it meatless. So healthy and delicious too!
Servings: 8 large bowls
- 3 slices bacon - diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 7 whole carrots - chopped
- 7 stalks celery - chopped
- 1 large sweet potato - chopped
- 1.5 pound baby yellow potatoes - chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 6 cups lower sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 3 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1.5 cups lentils - rinsed and sorted
- splash of balsamic vinegar and freshly ground black pepper - to serve (optional)
Chop up all vegetables. Par-cook the bacon in a large stock pot (optional - you can leave the bacon out). Remove and crush it into fine crumbs. Add back to pot.
To the stock pot, add olive oil, all the vegetables, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper - and sauté over medium-high heat for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies start to soften.
Add chicken broth, water, bouillon cubes, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
Add lentils and additional salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium, and let soup simmer for approximately 40 minutes, or until lentils are soft.
Check seasonings, and remove from heat. Serve each bowl with some additional freshly ground black pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar (optional).
- No need to soak lentils, but rinsing them (and sorting for debris) before using is recommended.
- Use just a few slices of bacon to add flavor. This is optional.
- Load it with vegetables! Any variety works, and you could others (leeks, butternut squash, other potatoes).
- You can halve the recipe easily by adjusting the serving size to four.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 519mg | Potassium: 1027mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 20.6mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 6.2mg