Simple and healthy, these Veggie Omelette Quesadillas are stuffed full of eggs, veggies, and cheese! Eat them plain, or top them with salsa and avocado slices.
If you’ve been following along, you already know that we are huge Tex-Mex fans. Maybe that’s what happens when you’ve lived in Texas for 25 years! I guess we should consider ourselves TEXAN now, instead of Midwesterners.
There are always Tex-Mex ingredients in my pantry/refrigerator. Jalapeño peppers are a staple, as well as fire-roasted tomatoes, HOT Rotel, chipotle peppers, and pepper jack cheese. I always have tortillas of some kind (flour, corn, crunchy shells, etc.) in both the pantry AND my freezer, because you just never know.
So recently, after having a calorie-laden weekend, I whipped up these healthy breakfast quesadillas.
Here’s what you need.
- veggies – onions, green bell pepper, jalapeño peppers, and mushrooms
- eggs and a big splash of half and half
- cheese plus toppings
I used my panini press to give these Veggie Omelette Quesadillas those nice grill marks. But you could use a regular skillet too.
Let’s talk about mushrooms.
- While they are not a replacement for meat nutritionally, mushrooms do pack a punch for only 15 calories in a cup.
- They have a “meaty” texture with a satisfying “umami” flavor. (Umami is a taste category, along with sweet, sour, salt, and bitter.)
- If looking to replace meat, make sure you include a good source of protein along with the mushrooms. In these quesadillas, for instance, the eggs are the main protein, while the mushrooms make you feel like you are eating meat.
I almost always have mushrooms on my grocery list. They give so much flavor to many of my recipes.
Make this breakfast recipe next: Migas (Mexican Breakfast Casserole)
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
Veggie Omelette Quesadillas
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large green bell pepper – chopped
- 1 large jalapeno – diced, with our without seeds
- 1/2 large onion – yellow or red
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 flat-outs – or any tortillas
- avocado slices – to serve
- salsa – to serve
- Heat a large skillet and add olive oil. Sauté the bell pepper, jalapeño, mushrooms, and onion until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Whip the eggs and half and half, and add to skillet. Turn heat to medium low, and cook until eggs are set. Remove from heat.
- Lay flat-outs (or tortillas) out on counter. Spread egg mixture on one half of the flat-outs, top with some shredded cheese, and fold the flat-out/tortilla up over the egg mixture.
- Using a panini maker (or grill pan), place quesadillas into the press, and cook until warm with nice grill marks. Repeat until all quesadillas are done.
- Serve with avocado slices and salsa. Enjoy!