Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share a commission.
My Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese should definitely be on your brunch menu soon. Chocolate chips and a cream cheese filling are nestled in between a soft coffee cake crumb. Grab a cup of coffee and some friends, and enjoy!
In our family, coffee drinking is a sport. We’re those people that can’t wait to wake up in the mornings so we can sit with our cups of java. Since I work from home, I often have two (or three) cups before I have breakfast. On weekends, Mike and I treat ourselves to something sweet to enjoy WITH our coffee, like scones, cookies, or maybe a slice of coffee cake.
THIS coffee cake is so many things.
- Moist – with a super soft crumb.
- Creamy – due to that cream cheese layer.
- Chocolatey – dark chocolate chips for the win!
Ingredients needed for Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese:
For the cake:
- Butter – Unsalted butter, set out in advance so it’s at room temperature.
- Sugar – Use a combo of both granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Eggs – Two eggs, also at room temperature.
- Sour Cream – Use full fat sour cream.
- Milk – Any kind of milk, but I prefer 2% for this recipe.
- Vanilla – I love the Watkins Vanilla that my mom always used.
- Flour – All-purpose flour works best for that soft crumb.
- Misc – Baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
For the Cream Cheese Layer:
- Cream Cheese – Use a full fat cream cheese, set out in advance to soften.
- Sugar – Just a bit of sugar needed for this layer.
- Egg – One egg.
- Chocolate Chips – I used dark chocolate chips, but feel free to use semi-sweet, if desired.
You will need a bundt cake pan for this coffee cake. I haven’t tested it with any other type of pan.I also used a hand mixer to mix the cream cheese layer.
How to make Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chips:
- Prep in advance. Set out all the cold items so that they come to room temperature, approximately one hour before mixing.
- Start with the cake. Mix the wet ingredients. In a standing mixer, combine the softened butter and sugars, and mix until creamy. Add eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla, and mix again.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add it to the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Make the cream cheese layer. In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, sugar, and egg. Mix until well combined.
- Assemble cake. Prepare a bundt pan with baking spray to prevent sticking. Add about half of the cake batter to the pan. Spread the chocolate chips on top, and then the cream cheese mixture. Top with the remaining cake batter.
- Bake. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven. Bake for approximately 40 – 43 minutes, or until done. Test with a toothpick, but be careful to not over-bake.
- Cool. Let cake sit in bundt pan for about 7-8 minutes. Use a butter knife to make sure the sides and middle are loosened. Carefully flip cake onto a cooling rack.
- Serve. To serve, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the cake, and pour some coffee in cups. Enjoy!
Other delicious treats to pair with coffee:
- The Best Cinnamon Rolls (with Caramel Frosting) – This is my momma’s “famous” recipe, and it is THE BEST!
- Honey Cinnamon Zucchini Bread – This is a wonderful quick bread, and uses olive oil for that healthy factor.
- Seriously Crumbly Chocolate Chip Scones – These really are seriously crumbly and delish!
Make this breakfast recipe next: Oatmeal Raspberry Jam Bars
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
For the cake:
- 1/2 cup butter – at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs – at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the cream cheese layer:
- 8 oz. cream cheese – at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- a sprinke of powdered sugar – to serve
- For the cake: Mix the wet ingredients together. In a large standing mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Add eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla, and mix again.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Gradually add to the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Make the cream cheese layer. In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, sugar, and egg. Whip until well combined.
- Assemble cake. Prepare a bundt pan with baking spray. Spoon in about 1/2 of the cake batter. Then sprinkle with the chocolate chips, followed by the cream cheese mixture. Then add the remaining cake batter.
- Bake cake in a 350 degree preheated oven. Bake for approximately 40-43 minutes, or until done in the center. Be careful to avoid over-baking!
- Let the cake sit in bundt pan for 7-8 minutes, and then use a butter knife to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Carefully flip the cake on to a cooling rack.
- Serve cake with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Baked this cake for my birthday and it was an absolute hit! So moist and tasty. Thank you for doing what you do
Thank you so much for your feedback, Ronak! So glad you enjoyed the cake. 🙂