Chickpea Salad Sandwiches might just be your go-to sandwich for lean eating this year. At just under 300 calories, this flavor combo is not only tasty, but it’s full of protein and fiber. So interesting, so good!
My love of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) continues, and when I was searching for something to make recently, and didn’t have any tuna on hand, I did some experimenting with chickpeas. I pulled out all the veggies I had in my refrigerator, and went to work.
Concocting recipes is now a huge passion of mine. It can be frustrating at times, especially when I have to re-do something repeatedly to get it just right. But when I share a delicious recipe, that others are making and commenting on, I’m pretty dang happy. So ya’ll, if you are loving one of my recipes, PLEASE share that with me. I get so excited when I get reviews and comments, so you would be doing me a huge favor, that’s for sure. 🙂
So now, let’s talk chickpeas. Here’s what you do with this amazing little legume.
- Rinse and strain them.
- Throw them in your food processor.
- Pulse about 5-7 times.
- Then mix them with the remaining ingredients pictured below.
Chickpea Salad Ingredients:
Let’s go shopping! Here’s what you should have on your list.
- chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)
- green onions
- matchstick carrots
- red cabbage (or celery)
- celery seed
- Everything but the Bagel Seasoning – you can find this at Trader Joe’s but we don’t have one close by, so I order it.
- olive oil
- light mayo
Sandwich Items needed:
- bread (pita bread in my case)
- any other veggie you like in your sandwiches
When it comes to stocking my pantry, chickpeas are plentiful. I use them in so many recipes now, not only because they pack a punch of protein and fiber, but they add SO. MUCH. FLAVOR.
Here are a few salad recipes that include chickpeas!
And then there is hummus, like the following:
Make this sandwich recipe next: BLT Sandwich with Pesto Sauce
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 can chickpeas - rinsed and strained
- 1/4 cup green onions - diced
- 1/3 cup carrots - diced
- 1/3 cup red cabbage - diced
- 2 large eggs - hardboiled and diced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons light mayo
- 4 pieces pita bread
- avocado and tomato slices - to serve
- In a food processor, pulse chickpeas about 6-7 times until slightly processed. Don't blend until smooth. You want some chunks.
- In a mixing bowl, combine processed chickpeas with remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. Test for seasonings, and adjust if needed.
- Spoon chickpea salad into pita bread. Add avocado and tomato slices, if desired, and lightly toast.
- Chickpea Salad is best eaten the first day, but leftovers are good for an additional day.