This is the Best Italian Meatball Recipe! Combining beef and pork with the classic meatball ingredients and baking them in the oven – provides an out-of-this world flavor experience. Pair them with a homemade marinara, curry, veggies or pasta for a full and satisfying meal!
Are you a wanna-be Italian like me? You know, the kind that makes homemade meatballs and marinara sauce, and sometimes drinks too much wine? Welcome to the club, because I have a surprise for you. It’s called the BEST Italian Meatball Recipe!
I know you have lots of choices on the web, but I hope you try this one. You can use it for spaghetti and meatballs, make mini meatballs and use it in soup, use it in a curry bowl, or pair it with your favorite sauce for an appetizer. So many choices!
Ingredients needed for Italian Meatballs:
- Ground Beef – I recommend using 80-85% lean ground beef. Any leaner will result in a tough meatball, and that is absolutely no bueno.
- Ground Pork – I rotate between using a mild pork, a sweet one, and my favorite, a spicy ground pork! Use whatever you like best.
- Eggs – Two eggs help the meatballs stick together, without using any other binder.
- Onion and Garlic – Mince your onion and garlic super fine, especially for picky eaters.
- Parmesan Cheese – Shred your own cheese. Tastes better and it’s actually cheaper.
- Breadcrumbs – I used Italian breadcrumbs. If you are into using homemade breadcrumbs, you will need more binder like milk.
- Spices – Red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Staples in my kitchen.
- Water – The cold water adds amazing moisture to these meatballs.
How to make the Best Italian Meatball Recipe:
- Preheat oven. Set your oven to 375 degrees for starters. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mince veggies. Mince your onion and garlic very finely. Your picky eaters won’t notice them, but WILL notice the amazing flavor they provide.
- Combine ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Use your hands to gently mix everything together.
- Form meatballs. Then form meatballs. Use your hands and try not to over handle. Over-handling results in tough meatballs. Lay meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake. Bake meatballs for approximately 20 minutes. Check to make sure they are cooked through, and bake for a few more minutes if needed.
- Serve. Serve meatballs with homemade marinara, curry, pasta, veggies, or whatever you like.
Kitchen Tools used for this recipe: (Affiliate Links)
- Baking Sheet – I use this almost daily.
- Parchment Paper Baking Sheets – These fit the baking sheet perfectly.
Make this Italian recipe next: Rigatoni Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli
Please let know if you try this recipe. Be sure to comment and leave a review on the blog so I can see what you think. You can also like my Facebook Page, follow me on Pinterest, and catch me on Instagram.
Best Italian Meatball Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef 80% lean
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/3 cup onion – minced
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese – freshly shredded
- 2/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mince the garlic and onion finely. Add it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and mix with your hands until it just comes together.
- Form approximately 24 meatballs, avoiding over-working the meat. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, check them for doneness, and then bake more if needed to cook thoroughly.