Almond Blueberry Lemon Bread is packed with blueberries and fresh lemon. The almond extract and the sliced almonds on top take it to the next level. SO good!
I originally tried to make this recipe super healthy by using coconut oil instead of canola oil, honey and maple syrup instead of plain ole sugar, and Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk. However, I used way too much Greek yogurt (sometimes less is more), and when I do that (yep, I’ve done it before), the center doesn’t get done. It was ewww, gross.
So I decided to just use moderate amounts of all the good stuff, and simplify life.
I happen to love the combination of lemons and blueberries, and it feels like spring outside, so I should be cooking that way too.
How to simplify this recipe.
- You can make this bread using two bowls instead of a standing mixer. The wet ingredients go in one bowl and the dry ingredients go in the other. Whenever a recipe calls for oil and not butter (that needs to be creamed), I leave my mixer in the cabinet.
- Zest a lemon BEFORE you squeeze it. That makes the process way easier.
- Use a citrus press to squeeze the lemons. Unless you have big muscles. (I don’t.)
For those of you still enduring winter, this recipe is for you. Can’t you feel the warmth by just looking at this bread? I hope warmer weather heads your way VERY soon. Mwah! 🙂
xoxo ~ Sue
What I posted last year: French Silk Pie
You can stay up-to-date with SueBee Homemaker by:
- signing up for post updates (top right-hand corner of my blog)
- liking my Facebook Page
- and following me on Pinterest
I’m also sharing tidbits of my life on Instagram.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 large lemons - juiced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients - the eggs, buttermilk, canola oil, almond extract, the juice of three lemons, and the lemon zest.
In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients - the flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry, and combine. Fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into two greased loaf pans. Top with the sliced almonds.
Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, or until the bread is done in the center.
Remove loafs to cooling racks.